How two US citizens can get married on their Japanese holiday anywhere in Japan.

If you are thinking about getting married in Japan during your vacation, let us help you prepare everything so that your special day goes as smooth and as easy as possible!

We have helped many US couples get married in various major & rural areas including cities/prefectures like Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hokkaido, Nagasaki, Fukuoka, Nagano, Okinawa, and more!

Here are the steps to get married in Japan that we help you with:

  1. Confirm requirements with the city office of your choice
  2. Prepare the required documents / translations
  3. Submit all documents to the city office
  4. Get married / receive the marriage certificate

The first thing you will want to decide is which city office you’d like to get married at. Choosing a city office is very important, as it can substantially affect the preparation of necessary documents, whether you can receive your marriage certificate in time, etc. If you do not submit the correct documents they ask for, they can reject your marriage application and you will not be able to get married.

Certain city offices have their own original Marriage Certificates too, so make sure to pick a hotel within that area if you want a specific design. If you are having a difficult time deciding the city office, let us know and we can make suggestions for you or you can just go to the closest city office to the hotel you have already pre-decided.

Once you have chosen your city office – please contact us with the following details.


Full Name:



(If you are a dual passport holder, use the intended passport to marry under)

Current Location:

Previously Married:


Full Name:



Current Location:

Previously Married:

Intended period of stay in Japan:

Intended marriage date and hotel name and location on the date of marriage:

Hotel location prior to marriage date so that you can receive prepared marriage documents:

Reserved date of Notary Appointment at the Embassy (if unknown leave blank):

Although our office is physically located in Okinawa, we can remotely help you get married anywhere in Japan. We take pride in providing services that are thorough and precise so that you and your fiancé/e can have a stress-free day on your big life event. Our services include calling the city office of your choice to check in and find out the requirements, translating the required documents, sending them to your location in Japan (or abroad), and assisting you with language difficulties via phone at the city office should there be any problems.

E-mail us today for inquiry:

Once we receive your e-mail, we can aid you with all the information needed for the process including required documents.

You can also check out our website at:

David Higgins is a full time Japanese/English translation company owner located in Okinawa, Japan. David, his wife Hazuki and four employees and various freelancers of other languages run Okinawa Translator. They specialize in translation of all kinds of documents, technical manuals and on site interpreting for instructional safety classes with the military to family reunions. They have expanded their business all over Japan and overseas to serve customers in any location.

2 Comments on “How two US citizens can get married on their Japanese holiday anywhere in Japan.

  1. Hi David, First of all thank you for writing these helpful blogs. I have a question if you can help, I know my girlfriend for last 3 years and we are in relationship since then, we met in Australia and now during corona she is stuck in Japan and I’m in Australia. We want to live together and I’m just wondering if I will come to japan on Visit Visa for 3 months and we will get marry in Japan when I’m on my visit Visa. Can I get spouse visa and stay in Japan or do I have to leave Japan after my visit visa will expire.
    Many thanks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *