How to get Married in Japan – Russian Passport Holders

Hi, I am David Higgins, a legal translator in Okinawa, Japan and I am going to clearly explain how to get married in Japan for those who are Russian Passport Holders.

First off, let’s clarify that getting legally married in Japan requires legal paper work only. Any celebration, party or ceremony is completely separate and not necessary for a marriage to be considered legal in Japan.

First you need to obtain a document stating your single status from within Russia from the local ward office.

Here is an example:

Example Document ( Obtain Prior to coming to Japan )

Next you can take these documents to the Russian Embassy in Tokyo to obtain a:

Certificate of Single Status

& your Russian Passport

You obtain the Certificate of Single Status from the Russian Embassy by appointment only and you can contact the Russian Embassy to make that appointment with the information in the description box.

If you plan to marry a US citizen, your fiancé must obtain the following:

• A single affidavit notarized at either a US legal services office, US Embassy or US Consulate.

• A passport, birth certificate or naturalization document. In most cases the passport does not need to be translated into Japanese but the birth certificate or naturalization document would need to be translated from English to Japanese.

At Okinawa Translator we provide that service. You can scan or photograph the documents and send them to our email address and we will get to work translating these documents into Japanese for you.
Once the translations are finished, we will complete your marriage application.

The marriage application must be completed only after all documents have been translated into Japanese.

These translated documents must mirror the information provided in the originals so one of the big advantages of having all documents translated at one time by the same translator will be avoiding possible discrepancies that may occur otherwise.

The marriage application must have two witnesses. My wife and I can be your witnesses and due to the fact that we are both Japanese residents, we physically do not have to accompany you to the city office. If you want to choose your own witnesses, you will need to submit their full names, birth dates, nationalities and local addresses to us.

They must physically accompany you to the city office on the day that you get married.When the above mentioned steps are completed, you will submit your documents to a city office closest to your residency in Japan. If you submit your documents to a town or village office, they may or may not require additional documentation to be translated and submitted so we strongly suggest that you consult with our office as to which city office you should provide your documents to. This will ensure that all submission procedures run in a smooth and timely manner.

The certificates that you receive will be written in the Japanese language. We will translate your marriage certificate back into English and provide you with several certified copies in English so you can use these to successfully report your marriage to the authorities in your home country.

And that’s all. If you have any questions about getting married in Japan please do not hesitate to contact us.

David Higgins is a full time Japanese/English translation company owner located in Okinawa, Japan. David, his wife Hazuki and four employees and various freelancers of other languages run Okinawa Translator. They specialize in translation of all kinds of documents, technical manuals and on site interpreting for instructional safety classes with the military to family reunions. They have expanded their business all over Japan and overseas to serve customers in any location.

2 Comments on “How to get Married in Japan – Russian Passport Holders

  1. Hi my name is Gabriel. My fiancé already have a K1 visa but now I’ll have to leave to Japan due to work so the plans that we have to get married in the US changed. Will she need a Japan visa being a Russian citizen? How can we get married in Japan, request the green card process and have her stay with my in Japan while I’m working there?

    • Gabriel, Just to let you know we don’t specialise in immigration and visas. We only know about legal marriage in Japan.
      The best place for immigration information is at the immigration office. They have all the answers about your inquiries. – Dave

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *