How to get married in Japan – Nepali Passport Holders

Hi, I am David Higgins, a legal translator in Okinawa, Japan and I am going to clearly explain how to get married in Japan for those who are Nepali Passport Holders.

First off, let’s clarify that getting legally married in Japan requires legal paper work only. Any celebration, party or ceremony is completely separate and not necessary for a marriage to be considered legal in Japan.

Before you arrive in Japan, you will need to retrieve some documents from a legal ward office in Nepal.

The following is a list of what you will need to collect:

If you plan to marry a US citizen, your fiancé must obtain the following:

  • A single affidavit notarized at either a US legal services office, US Embassy or US Consulate.
  • A passport, birth certificate or naturalization document. In most cases the passport does not need to be translated into Japanese but the birth certificate or naturalization document would need to be translated from English to Japanese.

At Okinawa Translator, we provide that service. You can scan or photograph the documents and send them to our email address and we will get to work translating the document into Japanese for you.

Once the translations are finished, we will complete your marriage application. The marriage application must be completed only after all documents have been translated into Japanese. These translated documents must mirror the information provided in the originals so one of the big advantages of having all documents translated at one time by the same translator will be avoiding possible discrepancies that may occur otherwise.

The marriage application must have two witnesses. My wife and I can be your witnesses and due to the fact that we are both Japanese residents, we physically do not have to accompany you to the city office. If you want to choose your own witnesses, you will need to submit their full names, birth dates, nationalities and local addresses to us. They must physically accompany you to the city office on the day that you get married.

When the above mentioned steps are completed, you will submit your documents to a city office closest to your residency in Japan. If you submit your documents to a town or village office, they may or may not require additional documentation to be translated and submitted so we strongly suggest that you consult with our office as to which city office you should provide your documents to. This will ensure that all submission procedures run in a smooth and timely manner.

The certificates that you receive will be written in the Japanese language. We will translate your marriage certificate back into English and provide you with several certified copies in English so you can use these to successfully report your marriage to the authorities in your home country.

And that’s all. If you have any questions about getting married in Japan, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are experts at this process and can alleviate the unnecessary stresses that obtaining multiple language documents can provide during one of the most important experiences in your life.


David Higgins is a full time Japanese/English translation company owner located in Okinawa, Japan. David, his wife Hazuki and four employees and various freelancers of other languages run Okinawa Translator. They specialize in translation of all kinds of documents, technical manuals and on site interpreting for instructional safety classes with the military to family reunions. They have expanded they’re business all over Japan and overseas to serve customers in any location.

24 Comments on “How to get married in Japan – Nepali Passport Holders

  1. Sir i need your help to get me married in japan,, me and my partner we both are nepali.. We both are now in Japan but in different city..

  2. Hello sir, I am nepali. Does the documents mentioned above for marriage had time duration? Because I have issued some of them in Nepal 5 years ago. Do they work or it should be freshly issued?

  3. Hello sir,
    I am a Nepali citizen living in Japan. My girlfriend is Japanese citizen. Going through your YouTube video. I collected my documents, but all of those docs are in English. Can I translate it into Japanese through Nepali embassy? My documents are all made correctly and also have the stamp of ministry of foreign affairs in the back. I still haven’t gone to Nepali embassy. What should I do next?

  4. My boyfriend is coming Nepal on November last and we will get marriage in Nepal ,,
    After marriage we have to go to Japanese embassy?
    And for the further process what can we do ?
    Any document we have to get from CDO ?

  5. Hello sir I am from Nepal
    I did collect all the documents from Nepal on sep 2018
    And I have a stamp of embassy on 11/22 how long it works
    And how to translate In Japanese
    Can you help me …
    How much it cost to translate it ??

  6. Hi sir ..
    I’m a Nepali and I’m living in Us with US permanent residence and I want to get married in Japan with Nepali passport holders so what documents should be required for me ??

  7. do i need a visa of japan.. to marry japanees native..because my refugee application got cancelled and i got a departure order already…but my girlfried wanta to marry with me apply for the further process…

  8. Hello, sir I am Nepali girl and my boyfriend is Japanese, what should we do to be legally married? How can I be able to get visa?
    Thank you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *