How to get married in Japan for Singapore Passport Holders

Hi, I’m David Higgins, a legal translator in Okinawa, Japan and I am going to explain how to get married in Japan for people who are Singapore Passport Holders.

Getting married in Japan requires legal paper work only. Any celebration, party or ceremony is completely separate and not necessary for a marriage to be considered legal in Japan.

Singapore passports holders need the following documents to apply for for a marriage license to get married in Japan:

The Statutory Document must be issued from within Japan from a Singapore Embassy or Consulate, You can make an appointment here;

If you plan to marry a US citizen, your fiancé must obtain the following:

  • A single affidavit notarized at either a US legal services office, US Embassy or US Consulate.

A passport, birth certificate or naturalization document is required. In most cases the passport does not need to be translated into Japanese but the birth certificate or naturalization document would need to be translated from English to Japanese.

At Okinawa Translator, we provide that service. You can scan or photograph the documents and send them to our email address and we will translate the documents into Japanese on your behalf.

Once the translations are finished, we will complete your marriage application. The marriage application can only be completed only after all documents have been translated into Japanese. These translated documents must mirror the information provided in the originals. The advantages of having all the documents translated at one time by the same translator will be to avoid possible discrepancies that may occur otherwise thereby creating delays in processing.

The marriage application must have two witnesses. My wife Hazuki and I can be your witnesses and as we are both Japanese residents, we do not have to physically accompany you to the city office. If you want to choose your own witnesses, you will need to submit their full names, birth dates, nationalities and local addresses to us. They must physically accompany you to the city office on the day that you get married.

When the above mentioned steps are completed, you will submit your documents to a city office closest to your residence in Japan. If you submit your documents to a town or village office, they may or may not require additional documentation to be translated and submitted. As a result, we strongly suggest that you consult with our office for the appropriate city office for submitting your documents. This will ensure that all submission procedures run in a smooth and timely manner.

The certificates that you receive will be written in the Japanese language. We will translate your marriage certificate into English and provide you with several certified copies in English so you can use these to successfully report your marriage to the authorities in your home country.

If you have any questions about getting married in Japan, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are experts at this process and can alleviate the unnecessary stresses that obtaining multiple language documents can occur during one of the most important experiences in your life. – Dave ( )

David Higgins is a full time Japanese/English translation company owner located in Okinawa, Japan. David, his wife Hazuki and four employees and various freelancers of other languages run Okinawa Translator. They specialize in translation of all kinds of documents, technical manuals and on site interpreting for instructional safety classes with the military to family reunions. They have expanded their business all over Japan and overseas to serve customers in any location.

6 Comments on “How to get married in Japan for Singapore Passport Holders

  1. Hi David, my fiancé and I are Singaporeans. Can we get married in Japan if we are not living in Japan and are on a tourist visa?

  2. Hi! Must the witnesses be Japanese? Are we able to fill up the application form in advance with two Singaporean witnesses information? Thank you!

    • Hi Ng, In most cases it when getting married in Japan with our services, using my wife and I as witnesses is the easiest because
      we don’t have to physically be with you at the city office because we are registered Japanese residents. Although if you have two
      friends that want to be your witnesses depending on the the accepting city office it is possible. You need to provide us with their
      full names, birthdates, nationalities, and where they are staying in Japan for their visit. Those witnesses will then sign the application
      for and have to physically be with you on the day that you submit everything to the city office, I hope this answers your question, if not
      please feel free to email me directly: – Dave

  3. Hi,

    Do we have to fly over to Tokyo to collect the Document? or can we apply via online?

    The Statutory Document must be issued from within Japan from a Singapore Embassy or Consulate, You can make an appointment here;

    Embassy of Singapore in Tokyo; or
    Singapore Consulate General in Osaka

    • For Singapore Passport holders they want you to directly go to the Singapore Tokyo Embassy or Singapore Osaka Consulate to get the
      Statutory Declaration, although if you want to get married on the mainland of Japan you can do that too. Just let us know what area,


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *