How to get married in Japan for Mainland Chinese Passport Holders

Hi, I am David Higgins, a legal translator in Okinawa, Japan and I am going to clearly explain how to get married in Japan for those who are Mainland Chinese Passport Holders.

First off, let’s clarify that getting legally married in Japan requires legal paper work only. Any celebration, party or ceremony is completely separate and not necessary for a marriage to be considered legal in Japan.

Before you arrive in Japan, you will need to retrieve some documents from a legal ward office in Mainland China and then go physically to the Chinese Consulate in person in Fukuoka.

The following is a list of what you will need to collect from China to bring to the Fukuoka Chinese Consulate for 1st time marriages:

Chinese Ward Office issued Birth Certificate document

Chinese Ward Office issued Family Registry document

Chinese Notary Office issued Single Affidavit document

The following is a list of what you will need to collect from Mainland China to bring to the Fukuoka Chinese Consulate for those who have been previously divorced.

Chinese Ward Office issued Birth Certificate document.

Chinese Ward Office issued Family Registry document.

Chinese Previous Marriage Certificate (Red Book Type).

Chinese Divorce Certificate (Red Book Type) If the above divorce decree is not available then obtain a divorce decree issued from the court office.

A no-remarriage affidavit certificate issued from the Notary Office.

From all of the documents listed above you must bring the original documents along with a copy of each one.

In addition, please bring a valid Chinese passport, a copy of photo page and a copy of entry stamp into Japan page of the passport.

The Chinese Consulate in Fukuoka does not require an appointment to receive your Chinese single status document but they are only open weekly 9am – 12pm ( noon ) for providing this service.

After you have received the single status document issued from the Chinese Consulate you will send a copy of that single status document to our office and we can handle the rest of the procedure.

We can help you get married at any city office in any location of Japan.

If you plan to marry a US citizen, your fiancé must obtain the following:

A single affidavit notarized at either a US legal services office, US Embassy or US Consulate.

A passport, birth certificate or naturalization document. In most cases the passport does not need to be translated into Japanese but the birth certificate or naturalization document would need to be translated from English to Japanese.

At Okinawa Translator, we provide that service. You can scan or photograph the documents and send them to our email address and we will get to work translating the document into Japanese for you.

Once the translations are finished, we will complete your marriage application. The marriage application must be completed only after all documents have been translated into Japanese. These translated documents must mirror the information provided in the originals so one of the big advantages of having all documents translated at one time by the same translator will be avoiding possible discrepancies that may occur otherwise.

The marriage application must have two witnesses. My wife and I can be your witnesses and due to the fact that we are both Japanese residents, we physically do not have to accompany you to the city office. If you want to choose your own witnesses, you will need to submit their full names, birth dates, nationalities and local addresses to us. They must physically accompany you to the city office on the day that you get married.

When the above mentioned steps are completed, you will submit your documents to a city office closest to your residency in Japan. If you submit your documents to a town or village office, they may or may not require additional documentation to be translated and submitted so we strongly suggest that you consult with our office as to which city office you should provide your documents to. This will ensure that all submission procedures run in a smooth and timely manner.

The certificates that you receive will be written in the Japanese language. We will translate your marriage certificate back into English or Chinese and provide you with several certified copies so you can use these to successfully report your marriage to the authorities in your home country.

And that’s all. If you have any questions about getting married in Japan, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are experts at this process and can alleviate the unnecessary stresses that obtaining multiple language documents can provide during one of the most important experiences in your life.

David Higgins is a full time Japanese/English translation company owner located in Okinawa, Japan. David, his wife Hazuki and four employees and various freelancers of other languages run Okinawa Translator. They specialize in translation of all kinds of documents, technical manuals and on site interpreting for instructional safety classes with the military to family reunions. They have expanded their business all over Japan and overseas to serve customers in any location.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *