Getting Married in Japan for Australian Passport Holders

Getting Married in Japan for Australian Passport Holders

If you are an Australian passport holder and would like to get married in Japan and have received your Japanese Marriage Certificate issued by a city office in Japan, there are several simple steps that you must fulfill in order for it to be considered valid.

Step 1: Certificate of No Impediment

There are two documents required for getting a married in Japan. They are;

  • A valid passport
  • A Certificate of No Impediment

The Certificate of No Impediment looks like this:

Australian Affidavit Certificate of No Impediment









Although the Certificate of No Impediment can be issued within Australia, a Japanese city office requires that the Certificate of No Impediment must be issued by the Australian Embassy of Consulate within Japan.

The Australian Embassy and Consulate Information can be obtained by contacting the Australian Embassy through their website and making an appointment to create the Certificate of No Impediment with them.

The Certificate of No Impediment must then be translated into Japanese. In most cases, the Embassy or Consulate offers this service. If not, please send it to our office and we will translate the document and create a certified translation that will be accepted by any Japanese city office.

Step 2: Marriage Certificate Application

After you have obtained the Certificate of No Impediment, our company

(Okinawa Translator) will handle the remaining steps of the procedure.

  1. We will complete your marriage application;
  2. My wife and I will be your witnesses on the application because we are Japanese residents. Please note that we do not have to be physically present at the time you submit everything to the city office.

Step 3: Marriage Location and City Office Document Submissions

Although our office is specifically located in Okinawa, Japan we can send all the prepared documents to any location within Japan. You do not need to be married in Okinawa and can conduct your marriage in any location within Japan that you choose.  We will locate the city office that will be closest to the area and/or hotel where you are staying at.

After you have received your marriage certificate, there are two types you can choose from. Our suggestion is that you obtain both versions.

Married in Japan - Your Japanese Marriage Certifiicate

The larger version of your marriage certificate - Marriage In Japan Procedures









Simply take a good quality photograph of your Japanese Marriage Certificate and email the photo to us at our Okinawa Translator business address. We will translate the document and issue a certified translation that you can use to prove and register your marriage within Australia.


Step 4:

You are now legally married.  Live a long and happy life together.


David Higgins is a full time Japanese/English translation company owner located in Okinawa, Japan. David, his wife Hazuki and four employees and various freelancers of other languages run Okinawa Translator. They specialize in translation of all kinds of documents, technical manuals and on site interpreting for instructional safety classes with the military to family reunions. They have expanded they’re business all over Japan and overseas to serve customers in any location.

2 Comments on “Getting Married in Japan for Australian Passport Holders

  1. Thank you for your information. Not a big deal but in step 3 last paragraph reads as follows

    After you have received [you] marriage certificate,

    & I’m sure it should read as follows

    After you have received [your] marriage certificate,

    Anyway it still makes sense and thank you again

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *