How to get a copy of your Japanese Marriage Certificate from overseas.

If you have been married in Japan and require another original copy of your marriage certificate then you can receive it from overseas with our help.

The first step is to get in contact with us by email ( ). Our office ( Okinawa Translator ) is located in Okinawa, Japan. We need to know your full legal names, birth dates, date of marriage, and which City Office you got married. Next we will call the City Office and confirm that they have your marriage certificate and that you really did get married at that city office.
The second step is for us to prepare a Power of Attorney document specifically designating us to go to the City Office and get another marriage certificate issued on your behalf. We prepare the Power of Attorney and send it to you via an email attachment. After you sign it you will then send it to our mailing address.
Okinawa Translator
#201-10-20 Station Minato, Minato
Chatan, Okinawa, 904-0114, Japan
After we receive the signed Power of Attorney we will then go to the city office and get your marriage certificate and after that we can mail the original copy to you wherever you are in the world.

I’m Dave Higgins. I am a legally qualified professional who can translate legal or general documents from English to Japanese or Japanese to English. I can also help translate documents for languages such as Chinese, Korean, Indonesian or Portuguese. My office is located in Chatan, Okinawa. Please stop by or call if you have any questions about translation or interpreter services.

Posted in English
20 comments on “How to get a copy of your Japanese Marriage Certificate from overseas.
  1. Richard Nelson says:


    I had my marriage certificate and adoption certificate stolen last week. I was married while in the military station in Okinawa from 1984 to 1990. I was marriage on 1/27/1987. It took 3 days and we had to go to the Philippine and American Embassy and then they referred us to a local court house and then back to get the documents translated. I also did an adoption and name change in late 1987 for my three children, but don’t know where. Can you help?

    Thanks Rick

  2. Michelle Redding says:

    I am American and was married to another American while we were both stationed in Japan on active duty in the Navy. We are separated and pending a divorce and I just notices that this is how my name appears on the documents…Michelle WarnerSanders. Sanders is my maiden name and Warner is the name I was using when we got married. Shouldn’t it be the other way around for the document to be legal?

  3. I was married in Okinawa Japan 1988-1989 I need a copy of my marriage licenses to make sure it was legal because I was told it was not the names are (both Marines) at the time Theodore Stuart Lovell Augustis Joyce Hood we went to the American Embassy but I don’t know what city we were in the Marine Corps had each of us as spouse in our SRB’S can you help. Thanks

  4. mellissa gordon says:

    Is it public record to get a copy of someones marriage ceritifcate in Japan? If so what is the process? I think my brother in law married a Japanese lady before divorcing my sister.

  5. Paulette Jackson says:

    Dave, We need a copy of our marriage certificate. The grooms name is Bobby Joe Jackson BD 08/26/1952 the brides name is Paulette l Streater. BD05/03/1953. We were married in Kadena Oct 2, 1973. I do not have an email that has attachments. My mailing address is P Streater
    938 Woodlawn Ave
    Columbia, SC 29209 Thanks in advance

  6. margarette says:

    Can i get a copy of our marriage certificate from a japanese embassy in my country? Thanks

  7. Lauren says:

    Hi David, I’m living in Japan and I wanted to know if it’s possible to retrieve my marriage certificate (or a copy of it)from the city hall that I submitted it to.

  8. Christine McAlister says:


    We lost our Original Marriage Certificate and the translation. I need a copy but was also curious if I would receive just the translated version or if I could have the one written in Japanese as well…

    • Dave says:

      Good Morning Christine McAlister, We will retrieve the original marriage certificate for you from the issuing city office that your received your marriage certificate from, after we retrieve the marriage certificate for you it will be in Japanese language only. If you need it translated back into English we provide that service as well and we can do it promptly right after. Anything else let me know, – Dave.

  9. Shawn Miller says:

    Hi Dave,

    I want a copy of my Japanese Wedding Certificate to get my permanent residency but cannot find the original.

    Can you help?

    I still live in Japan.

  10. Hi
    Can we get a copy of our marriage certificate in city of naha okinawa japan

  11. Chris Charles says:

    Hi Dave.
    I need a copy of my divorce decree so I can give to my lawyer here in Georgia. Can you help me out?

Leave a Reply