How to complete a Konin Todoke Form / Japanese Marriage Application

Regardless of your nationality or passport, to get legally married in Japan you need to have a Konin Todoke Form/ Japanese Marriage Application completed.

A Japanese Marriage Application Form from the city office looks like this

At the Okinawa Translator Office we have created our own themed version and we believe it is more festive for getting married:

The Japanese Marriage Application form must be completed in Japanese and our office can complete this for you after we have translated your documents into Japanese.

The marriage application must have two witnesses. My wife and I can be your witnesses and as we are Japanese residents we  don’t have to come with you to the city office. If you want your own witnesses  I will need their full names, birth dates, nationality and local address. They will accompany you at the city office on the day you get married.

If your spouse or partner is Japanese they can complete the marriage application form. Here is an instructional PDF written in Japanese to help your Japanese spouse complete the marriage application.


If you have any questions about the marriage process in Japan please contact us.

David Vincent Higgins


Office Phone: 050-5534-5965

David Higgins is a full time Japanese/English translation company owner located in Okinawa, Japan. David, his wife Hazuki and four employees and various freelancers of other languages run Okinawa Translator. They specialize in translation of all kinds of documents, technical manuals and on site interpreting for instructional safety classes with the military to family reunions. They have expanded their business all over Japan and overseas to serve customers in any location.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply